The Comforter Has Come

This hymn was written in 1890 and found in Precious Times of Refreshing and Revival. After emigrating to America, Bottome be came a Methodist Episcopal minister in 1850. Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, awarded him an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree in 1872.

Lyrics: Francis Bottome
Music: William J. Kirkpatrick

O spread the tidings ’round, wherever man is found,
Wherever human hearts and human woes abound;
Let ev’ry Christian tongue proclaim the joyful sound:
The Comforter has come!

Refrain:
The Comforter has come, the Comforter has come!
The Holy Ghost from Heav’n, the Father’s promise giv’n;
O spread the tidings ’round, wherever man is found-
The Comforter has come!

The long, long night is past, the morning breaks at last,
And hushed the dreadful wail and fury of the blast,
As o’er the golden hills the day advances fast!
The Comforter has come!

Lo, the great King of kings, with healing in His wings,
To ev’ry captive soul a full deliverance brings;
And through the vacant cells the song of triumph rings;
The Comforter has come!

O boundless love divine! How shall this tongue of mine
To wond’ring mortals tell the matchless grace divine-
That I, a child of hell, should in His image shine!
The Comforter has come!

This hymn is an excellent one to mark Pentecostal Sunday, which falls on 31 May 2009 this year.

11 Responses to “The Comforter Has Come”

1. Beth naikesa says:

Hi
    does the hymn have another stanza I know versions of it that do.

Thanx for history

2. admin says:

I’m not aware of the additional stanzas? You could share them here if you wish. Thanks.

3. Hi,
    woke up this morning with this song in my heart and had to come searching for the lyrics. glad i found it here. you are doing a good job. however, i think it is important to also have not just when the song was written but circumstances surrounding the writing of the song. sure you understand. that way one can really understand what the spirit is saying to that person at that time. i mean the interpretation of such songs as it affects the present day believer. all the same, tanks for a job welldone. God bless you.

4. I also woke up with this hynm - Ruth says:

Is there another tune to this hymn?

5. I also woke up with this hynm - Ruth says:

I felt so depressed due to circumstances and sickness. we sang this in church and my sprits soared. what a beautiful confirmation of God’s presence in our lives!

6. Linda says:

Praise the Lord! I plan to sing this song in church this morning. We need a fresh infilling of the spirit in our lives and this song has been a favorite since I was a child. We have the song in our hymnal, but I did not realize it had been written in 1890.

7. I went to chruch this morning with a heavy burden and pressures in my mind. This song ” the comforter has come” came up and that was just it for me. it was my only message all through the service. I kept singing the song in my spirit even when the words was being preached. May God bless the composser and thank you also for the good work you are doing in this site. May the Lord reward your labour of love. Amen

8. glen says:

Amazing that 16 years later the song was sung at Azusa Street.

9. […] for the offering.  She played a song that she learned when she was up in Lewiston this summer, The Comforter Has Come.  I really like the words to this song.  Harold and I were following along in the Hymn book as […]

10. Phaeren says:

It’s a luvly Hymn i hear it over and over again. i even play it on my keyboard!

11. Gbenga Fagbemi says:

thanks, i really appreciate it