His Eye Is On The Sparrow

This popular hymn goes out to Steve, who will be leading it this Sunday.

It was written by Civilla Durfee Martin, a Canadian, born 21 Aug 1869. She married Dr. Walter Martin, an evangelist. This is her account of the writing of the song:

“Early in the spring of 1905, my husband and I were sojourning in Elmira, New York. We contracted a deep friendship for a couple by the name of Mr. and Mrs. Doolittle – true saints of God. Mrs. Doolittle had been bedridden for night twenty years. Her husband was an incurable cripple who had to propel himself to and from business in a wheel chair. Despite their afflictions, they lived happy Christian lives, bring inspiration and comfort to all who knew them. One day while we were visiting with the Doolittles, my husband commented on their bright hopefulness and asked them for the secret of it. Mrs. Doolittle’s reply was simple: “His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.” The beauty of this simple expression of boundless faith gripped the hearts and fired the imagination of Dr. Martin and me. The hymn “His Eye Is On The Sparrow” was the outcome of that experience.”

After writing the words, she mailed it to Charles Gabriel who composed the music.

Lyrics: Civilla D. Martin
Music: Charles H. Gabriel

Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heav’n and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant Friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Refrain:
I sing because I’m happy, I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

“Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

9 Responses to “His Eye Is On The Sparrow”

1. Ruthie says:

Thank You So much, this is the best gift you could’ve ever given to Steve…Wow, this son is my “self proclaim” athem.Kudos!

2. admin says:

Will try my best! Thanks!

3. David Wells says:

Great Job! Thanks very much for posting this. I live in Calif. and hope to have a singer in Jamaica sing this song TO AUDIENCES THERE, and you are helping to make that possible! Ha! – isn’t that GREAT! ? THANKS AGAIN!

4. Dick Adams says:

Just FYI, the full sheet music, in multiple formats (including PDF), is available at http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/h/i/hiseyeis.htm.

God bless!

5. Dick Adams says:

Wants an additional comment?

6. Sam Collins says:

A treasure.

7. Thomas F Hall says:

This Song Was Sung by my family on the shores of heaven as I returned back into my body from major 4 disc – rod surgery Jun 10 – and I will never forget the “I Sing Because I’m FREE!” These notes are not expressed in the beauty of heaven’s perfect pitches – but thanks for sharing these words & music. They comfort me daily now (age 51) as I reach towards yet another neck surgery of disc failures and know that what ever the outcome – Heaven’s Shores Praise God for being Free from the devils worker’s here below. Thanks for sharing.

8. Timothy Sibanyoni says:

What an inspiration. I have been listening to the song but the revelation has only come after reading this background.

He surely cares for me and my family.

South African citizen.

9. Mann says:

Hi Christopher,

I love and continuously inspired by this classic hymn. This is one of my favorite and included on my top 20 list of best-loved hymns. I downloaded your mp3 file for this hymn and some others. Although I know that its fine and ok to share based on the Creative Commons… policy, but with all due respect I will still ask your permission to use on some YouTube videos that I’m planning to include on my channel.

Thank you very much. More power and God Bless!