O Perfect Love

This is possibly the most romantic hymn in the whole hymnal. It is a wedding hymn that asks for blessings on the newly wed couple. I remember playing this hymn at my brother-in-law’s wedding – Joo Seng and Grace. Grace will be delivering her first child this Apr in Melbourne.

Another interesting fact is that it is the only hymn written by Dorothy B. Gurney specially for someone’s wedding as well. I hope you like this piano rendition.

Lyrics: Dorothy B. Gurney
Music: Joseph Barnby

O perfect Love, all human thought transcending,
lowly we kneel in prayer before thy throne,
that theirs may be the love which knows no ending,
whom thou forevermore dost join in one.

O perfect Life, be thou their full assurance
of tender charity and steadfast faith,
of patient hope and quiet, brave endurance,
with childlike trust that fears nor pain nor death.

Grant them the joy which brightens earthly sorrow;
grant them the peace which calms all earthly strife,
and to life’s day the glorious unknown morrow
that dawns upon eternal love and life.

9 Responses to “O Perfect Love”

1. Ruthie says:

I consider myself a traditional gurl and this piece was made for weddings…each key states the vows that will last a life time Joo Seng and Grace did well when they choose this piece…

2. Efenel says:

Thank you so much for your help, I am looking for hymns for my wedding. God bless whoever made this site

3. KayMarin says:

This piece was wonderfully done. I need to download this song for my wedding.

4. Kevin says:

We had this music played at our wedding 40 years past with the words O thou glorious Bridegroom and we are using the beautiful music again on Sunday week with the words rewritten to reflect toe love of god for all people, not just the marriage couple. And I get the joy of playing it this time.
    Loved your rendition. it is full of passion for the newlyweds and that you could play it for your own family nakes it all the nore meaningful.

Grace and peace

Kevin

5. lois says:

please how can i get an MP3 version of this song.i would like to have it saved on my system even if i am not on-line, i really love this song.

6. l lagodzki says:

there is a 4th verse too.

Hear us, O Father, gracious and forgiving,
    Through Jesus Christ, Thy coeternal Word,
    Who, with the Holy Ghost, by all things living
    Now and to endless ages art adored

7. mrcschan says:

nice wedding hymn. Is there a music sheet to go with this?

8. Colin Easton says:

the 50th anniversary of my wife and myself is coming up and I intend to use O Perfect Love as we renew our vows in Church. I always think about the film with Robert Coleman and Greer Garson as this was the theme throughout the film. (?Random Harvest)

9. tack says:

Is 4th verse written in the first poem ?
    or is 4th verse added afterward ?