Savior Like a Shepherd Lead Us

This hymn is attributed to Dorothy A Thrupp. Daughter of Jo­seph Thrupp of Pad­ding­ton Green, Dor­o­thy’s hymns ap­peared in the Friend­ly Vis­it­or and the Child­ren’s Friend, by Rev. W. Car­us Wil­son; in the Se­lection of Hymns and Po­e­try for the Use of In­fant Schools and Nur­ser­ies, by Mrs. Her­bert Mayo, 1838; and in her Hymns for the Young (1836). In 1836 and 1837 Dor­o­thy al­so pub­lished Thoughts for the Day, in which she em­bo­died ma­ny hymns which pre­vi­ous­ly ap­peared in the Friend­ly Vis­it­or.

Do leave a comment if you like this hymn. It is one of my favourites. It is almost like a lullaby.

Lyrics: Dorothy A Thrupp
Music: William B Bradbury

Savior, like a shepherd lead us,
much we need thy tender care;
in thy pleasant pastures feed us,
for our use thy folds prepare.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus!
Thou hast bought us, thine we are.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus!
Thou hast bought us, thine we are.

We are thine, thou dost befriend us,
be the guardian of our way;
keep thy flock, from sin defend us,
seek us when we go astray.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus!
Hear, O hear us when we pray.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus!
Hear, O hear us when we pray.

Thou hast promised to receive us,
poor and sinful though we be;
thou hast mercy to relieve us,
grace to cleanse and power to free.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus!
We will early turn to thee.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus!
We will early turn to thee.

Early let us seek thy favor,
early let us do thy will;
blessed Lord and only Savior,
with thy love our bosoms fill.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus!
Thou hast loved us, love us still.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus!
Thou hast loved us, love us still.

6 Responses to “Savior Like a Shepherd Lead Us”

1. Shari Walter says:

I love your piano playing and your site. I wish I could play like you. I am in your piano gospel group on yahoo.

2. admin says:

Hi there. Thanks for the comment. Do stay tuned.

Besides playing the piano, one can also sing to the LORD, either out loud on in our hearts. Amen.

3. Ruthie says:

You said it right ” a lullaby”, I was taught that song when I was younger in French and my Aunt would have us sing this hymn as an opening an closing for our “nightly prayers”. Your Hymn takes me to places that I sometime forget about, once the sound start the words just flow. I never know in what language I would be singing along but it always come to me….Thanks!!!!!!!

4. Jon_York says:

Keep up this good work. I’m posting links to this site to my facebook page in hopes of turning hearts to God.

I love the old hymns and a little of the history with each one sends a powerful message.

5. Daniel Thjin Sukirman says:

I am searching for Jesus I need Him so much please pray for me, so i can live for Him day by day and help others to know Him much much better than me. Thanks so much for sharing your mp3, it is a great blessing for me personally. God bless you, friend. Daniel in Indonesia

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

6. Pete Rhyne says:

I love your website. We can worship the Lord at home when we can’t make it to church on Wednesday! May the Lord bless you!