I Hear Thy Welcome Voice

hartsough_l

Hart­sough wrote this song at a re­viv­al meet­ing in Ep­worth, Io­wa.

Ira Sankey recounts: “The words and mu­sic of this beau­ti­ful hymn were first pub­lished in a month­ly, en­ti­tled, Guide to Ho­li­ness, a co­py of which was sent to me in Eng­land. I im­me­di­ate­ly adopt­ed it, and had it pub­lished in Sac­red Songs and So­los. It proved to be one of the most help­ful of the re­viv­al hymns, and was oft­en used as an in­vi­ta­tion hymn in Eng­land and Amer­i­ca.”

We sang this hymn last Sunday. What a beautiful melody it has. I particularly like the refrain which ends with the words “Wash me, cleanse me in the blood that flowed from Calvary”.

Lyrics and Music: Lewis Hartsough

I hear Thy welcome voice
That calls me, Lord, to Thee,
For cleansing in Thy precious blood
That flowed on Calvary.

Refrain:
I am coming, Lord,
Coming now to Thee:
Wash me, cleanse me in the blood
That flowed on Calvary.

Though coming weak and vile,
Thou dost my strength assure;
Thou dost my vileness fully cleanse,
Till spotless all and pure.

‘Tis Jesus calls me on
To perfect faith and love,
To perfect hope and peace and trust,
For earth and heav’n above.

8 Responses to “I Hear Thy Welcome Voice”

1. Ruthie says:

I grew up singing this hymn in French for our noon prayer…wow..Thanks again.

2. Harold Borchert says:

This hymn was the theme music for “The Hour to Christ”, the broadcast of the Presbyterian Church U.S. and the Reformed Church of Japan years ago. The Japanese version is in the old “Sambica” (1950-1970?) , a hymnbook used by virtually all the protestant churches immediately after the war. Harold Borchert ex-missionary

3. Alex Lian says:

My favourite hymn ever. I’ve even want this hymn on my funeral.

4. Mindy says:

I grew up in Epworth Iowa!

5. Mich says:

bro thanks for putting up these beautiful hymns…they are really relaxing and refreshing to hear…keep it up! God bless!

6. Mark B. Briggs says:

Dear Sir,

If you would like the words to all six verses please send me an e-mail message. I will send you the verses and a Noteworthy Composer file.
    This is a Top Ten Hymn in Wales. The Cymraeg title is Gwaoddiad.

Best Regards,
    Mark B. Briggs

7. […] I Hear Thy Welcome Voice « HymnPod […]

8. Charles Adu-Gyamfi says:

Hello there,

Please I would really appreciate if you would kindly send me all the 6 verses and the composer file.

I love this hymn to bits; it really reminds of my boarding school days in the late 70’s till mid 80’s. These are the period where I enjoyed most in my life and I would like to revisit the wonderful memories

Thanks